My Balance, ELDERBERRY
Elderberry is a fruit that has a long history of use in traditional medicine. People have used it traditionally to treat conditions like fever, sinus infections, toothache, sciatica, headaches, cold, and flu.1 Recently, it has been widely promoted as a dietary supplement for conditions like COVID-19 disease, however, there’s no significant evidence to support such claims.2
The elderberry fruit has been found to be rich in nutrients such as vitamin C, phenolic acids, dietary fiber, anthocyanins, and flavonols.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that plays a role in protecting the body from infections, and wound healing. As an antioxidant, it can provide protection against oxidative stress-induced damage from the activities of free radicals.9
- Phenolic acids have been reported to have medicinal properties due to their potential antioxidant properties, which can help in reducing the damage caused by oxidative stress. They are also thought to have beneficial effects on blood pressure, immune system, blood sugar, and cancer prevention.3
- Important flavonols in the elderberry fruit includes quercetin, kaempferol and isorhamnetin. Quercetin is a great antioxidant that can protect against tissue injury caused by various drug toxicities. This is in addition to its anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties.4,5 Research have found kaempferol’s dietary intake to possess beneficial effects in reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as6 Isorhamnetin on the other hand, has been found to possess some potential in cardiovascular and cerebrovascular protection, protection against cancer, and to act as an effective antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.7
- The anthocyanins are responsible for the dark black to purple color of elderberries. They have been shown by research to possess a therapeutic effect against numerous conditions like diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular, and neurological problems.8
Due to the numerous therapeutic uses of elderberries, their supplements are unsurprisingly so popular among people. With the intake of just a capsule or two, one would stand the chance of gaining numerous health benefits that may include increased immune function, relief against cold and flu, improved heart health, and relief from acne. My Balance’s Elderberry Plus is one supplement you can count on for these beneficial properties.
Some health benefits of elderberry consumption
- Increases immune function
Elderberries are rich in vitamin C, a nutrient that has been proven to strengthen the immune system by supporting numerous cellular functions. It can support epithelial barrier function against pathogens, protect the body from damages caused by oxidative stress, and enhance many important functions like chemotaxis, phagocytosis, and bacterial inhibition.10
Apart from vitamin C, we have already seen that this fruit is rich in antioxidants like the phenolic acids, flavonols, and anthocyanins, that can help prevent chronic diseases.11
- Fights Cold and Flu
The traditional use of elderberry against cold and flu seems to have some scientific basis after-all. Research published in the Journal of Complementary Therapies in Medicine, found supplementation with elderberries to significantly reduce upper respiratory tract symptoms.12 Another research, published in 2012, found elderberry juice to possess anti-influenza virus effects. This was seen in its ability to stimulate immune response and prevent viral infection.13
- Improves heart health
Research-based findings have suggested that the intake of flavonoids may be associated with a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease.14 Fortunately, elderberries are rich in flavonoids like isorhamnetin, which has been shown to possess cardioprotective properties.7
- Fights acne
The flavonoids in elderberries have been found to possess anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.4 These properties can go a long way in helping the body fight the activities of disease-causing free radicals that can play a role in causing skin problems. Elderberries also possess some anti-microbial properties, which can help in fighting acne.14
Elderberries are filled with immune system-boosting antioxidants. It is no fluke that the intake of these fruits has been found to be effective against conditions like cold and flu. If you are looking for a way to constantly benefit from the therapeutic properties of elderberries, My Balance’s Elderberry Plus with 600 mg (Standardized 5% Flavonoids) is a supplement you can count on.
Back to My Balance Nutrisentials Blog Posts